Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A real SXSW write-up - Wednesday

After seeing the posts of the person at whose apartment I stayed at for the colloquially-known "southby", or South By Southwest, I couldn't help but do an actual write-up of the five days spent in Austin. I haven't done something like this for years, but perhaps it will help with writing practice, plus act as a showcase to more fully explain the photos from the last post.

So here I sit at work, reminiscing, listening to the music of a band called Houses, seen performing outdoors at an Urban Outfitters below.


(The music in the link is from their upcoming album to be released in mid-April). When they played I didn't really like it, but now I kind of do.

I stayed at the apartment of a friend's semi-demi-girlfriend (it's complicated), plus the friend and the co-director of Coog Radio, Alex. Plus there were also the roomate and occasionally her boyfriend, so it was a crowded affair. I also spent Shabbat there, the subject of a whole post itself. The apartments were on the campus of St. Edward's University, a small private college with great views of downtown Austin and beyond, as well as plenty of beautiful trees and photogenic buildings. The block I was in had similar enough apartments for me to confuse one with the other, such as when I accidentally walked into 23 instead of 21, found a tv instead of my stuff, and ran quickly away. (Incidentally, #24 gets fresh russet potatoes delivered to it in a bag.)

So, Wednesday I arrived, reading Don Quixote in a Quixotic attempt to catch up with my dad in our simultaneous reading of the great book while waiting to be directed to the proper apartment. A beautiful day, as were all the days in Austin (warm during the day, cold at night, and always windy or breezy).


Once directed, I settled in and shortly thereafter we were off, to a free show/party at a bar called Lipstick, where we heard the end of Goldroom's act and saw all of one of Empress Of's many shows. (Somewhat underwhelming, if only because live acts are so much louder than recordings.) Probably should have stayed for mØ (https://soundcloud.com/mo-7), which seems to be an up-and-coming band.



I then walked up to UT Hillel, where there was a kosher food truck, and had a prepared meal (oh so rare), after which it was back to 6th street.

Saxophone plus pipe? Hmm. 
And on the right we see a rather typical SXSW go-er, always rushing to fit in more concerts.

Evening saw a trip over to the east side of downtown Austin to see Cheers Elephant. Got there a bit early and got this band performing:

Don't remember the name.


And then came Cheers Elephant, who played "Leaves" and a few others. Great performance and I really should have gone to the other shows they had. I've would up purchasing a physical CD of one of their albums.



A major element of SXSW is the food trucks, one of which is seen below. You could spend the entire festival just trying out different products, all day long. Several parks of food trucks were dotted around downtown.


And finally 6th Street at night


No comments: