Thursday, May 09, 2019

Russian word for golddigger

There is none. Russians just don't have such a word. And "one who digs for gold" isn't it.

I was introduced to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Popular_Girls_in_School, and am working through the episodes. Too funny, and witty.

In the space of one day I learned that I'll be in Pittsburgh next week. Made plans, booked travel. And after a call, learned that due to delays (again), Pittsburgh is called off. Probably. But the only people who could give me confirmation are either flying on places or on PTO. Such is the life of consulting. I'm not averse to leading meetings or working through details alone, I just don't like not being included on all planning meetings. Context is important, and knowing what the client has already told us, or the manager, is valuable. How can we project a consistent image if I repeat questions they've already answered? Also I'm freaking out because there's a whole piece of this seven-week project no one has told me any information about. And it's the area I'm least familiar with....

On a different note, the last two weeks have seen me learning about lights again. The last time this occurred I was a freshman in college, hunting for oversized fluorescent lightbulbs with very blue colors most conducive to seedling growth. Now, after six years of a too-dim apartment, I've been illuminating the main room with new lamps, from Ikea and Target. Bought some extremely expensive LED bulbs, but boy do they put out a lot of light. It's amazing how much better everything looks with a lot of light - the apartment looks bigger too. Now there are two reading corners. All that's left is to get a different Ikea Poang chair and we'll be good to go.

Lights without chair. A reading light with an extra large CFL, highest for the fitting, and an illumination lap at highest setting, bright enough to illuminate the whole room. The picture doesn't do it justice.

No comments: