Thursday, February 02, 2006

Garden update

I want to say that previously all the garden photographs uploaded were from my dad's cellphone. But recently he was given a Nikon digital camera, which is extremely useful as it has a lot of 'gadgets' that facilitate the taking of photographs. From here-on-in , all the garden photographs are from this camera except where noted.
It has been a very mild winter, and even Gabriel, who cuts the grass, says that in all his time in Houston, he has never seen anything like this and that it won't be cold (with freezing temperatures and sudden frosts) anymore. Well, that's stretching it, but that is the idea. Therefore, my broccoli constantly produces cute little side sprouts and is quite enjoying itself in the first true spring that I have ever seen in Houston. (By that I mean several semi-cool days a week, with the rest just typical Houston weather, i.e variable.) Because there were no cold snaps that killed my hibiscus theis year, unlike last year, it is forming buds, adorable ones, too. The stocks (a type of flower) are just beginning to bloom, revealin that their color is yellow. The oregano is profuse, and I'm about to give my mother the go-ahead to use it freely. The dark, chocolate-colored pepper is blooming once more and I anticipate more peppers, from it. I have another young pepper seedling, called the Hybrid Banana Pepper Whopper Improved, (bought at an outrageous price of something like $3.50 for 25 seeds, when I was desperate for a productive pepper last year), and it has produced its first bud. Recently, I pruned back my scented geranium back really hard, and took six seedlings, which thank G-d have taken root, all of them. The Grapefruit mint is producing leaves in great quantities, and the other mints also look great, even the one I took a bit of from the herb part of the Rose Garden. The lavender seedling, the only remaining on after the ravages of several unknown felines, now has 7 leaves! I'm so happy about that, and every so often I rub one of the tiny leaves and smell it, and the scent is divine. After I harvested the ripe tomatoes, the others that had just formed and had stopped growing when the other ones had taken up the available nutrition, suddenlt began to grow, and I will blog a picture of them too. That's about it of the more important information.

No comments: